Wednesday, March 2, 2011

pre-misconceptions

Back in the fall semester, when the idea of spending my spring in Athens first presented itself, it still seemed like nothing but a distant pipe dream. Now that I am finally here though, it is just too surreal. I did not have many great expectations coming into this whole experience. However, there were definitely a few aspects of the city that really surprised me, such as all the stray cats and dogs constantly roaming the streets (which for the most part are surprisingly well fed), the widespread abundance of kiosks, and the aggressiveness of taverna owners in the tourist areas of town.
With this said, I did have a few expectations coming here, and for the most part, they were right. The food is great, the wine is delectable, and it is quite hard to find an unattractive woman here (not to mention our stunningly beautiful language teacher whose presence we were fortunate enough to be accompanied by).
In short, coming to Athens was one of the best, if not the best, decision I have ever made in my life. I expected to have the best three months of my life here, and so far, I am not in the least bit disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment